The Best Post Workout Snacks
A proper diet is absolutely necessary when you’re trying to stay in good shape. It doesn’t matter how much you work out, if you keep filling your body with food that doesn’t help to your purpose.
First of all, you must keep in mind that when it comes to working out, cardio is not enough. Yes, you will lose weight and burn fat doing cardio but you will also lose muscle mass, which means you need to do some strength training to build muscle.
The second and key thing to stay in proper shape is nutrition. Even if you have the best workout plan ever, it will do nothing for you unless you pair it with a proper diet.
This is how good post workout food looks:
● Protein shake or fruit smoothie. If you’re not into protein powder shakes, you can go for a nut or green shake with high protein content. Peanuts, almonds, cashews, and pistachios are good sources of protein just like hemp, chia, sunflower and poppy seeds. You can also add leafy greens like kale or unsweetened cocoa powder to your shakes, and substitute regular milk for non-dairy options like soy milk or almond milk.
● Trail Mix or Granola. Just make sure to avoid excess sugar. If you can make them at home, even better. There are thousand of tasty recipes all over the internet.
● Veggie omelette. Pack it with veggies and spices and watch the salt. If you exercise in the mornings, this could be a great post-workout breakfast.
● Cheese & Crackers. Choose whole-grain crackers and and pair them with an ounce of your favorite cheese.
● Greek Yogurt with Fruits. Organic greek yogurt with your favourite fruits is a winning combo every time. You can add oatmeal and/or chia seeds to the mix for a hearty meal.
● Avocado Toast. Avocado is not only delicious but is also packed with vitamins and healthy fats. Mix the creamy goodness with your favourite spices without adding too much salt and spread it on a whole grain toast.
● Pita Bread & Veggies with Hummus. Chickpeas are full of protein and hummus is simply yummy. A few slices of pita bread and some celery and carrot sticks and you got yourself the perfect post-workout snack.
● Apples & Peanut Butter. Easy and tasty, this combination takes no time but gives lots of energy.
● Whole-grain Cereal with Skim Milk. Working out in the morning? If you don’t have too much time after your exercise session and you need to get to the office.
● Cottage Cheese & Fruit. It might sound weird but it’s delicious.
● Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich. This is a glorious combination, and it doesn’t have to be peanut butter, you can actually use the nut butter of your preference but it is definitely necessary that you go for whole-grain bread.
This post is sponsored by Dr. Harry Fisch, a varicocele repair surgeon and men’s health expert. For more information visit his website or call +1 (212) 879-0800 to make an appointment.